Homemade Coconut Shrimp.
Southern Sun Pub & Brewery
Boulder Cafe/happy hour
Homemade Cranberry Walnut Muffin
LOLA/Denver - Sunday Brunch Special
New Belgium beer. OAK at fourteenth
“Oreo Truffles” made by Chelsea Long
noosa - My favorite Greek yoghurt!
Meatballs & Polenta - OAK at fourteenth. :)
Something I always look forward to when my parents visit me in Boulder is going out to dinner on Pearl Street. I’ve been dying to eat something, anything at OAK. So we sat down at the bar. Not the “libations” (drink) bar but instead we sat at the “Chef’s Table,” which overlooked the entire kitchen. It’s like sitting at the sushi bar, but better! OAK was packed, as usual, so my mother and I were able to watch the chefs make everything from Pork Tenderloin to Sea Bass. It was an amazing experience to see the food come to life on the finished plate. The atmosphere was lively, friendly and smelled sensational.
While I was there, I enjoyed wine, a mild goat cheese and cornbread skillet appetizer, and a chocolate banana dessert. I can’t tell you exactly what the food items were called because that is how quickly the menu changes! I very much appreciate the fact that OAK caters its menu to whatever is local and seasonal. Can’t wait until next time.
Happy New Year everyone! I apologize for not blogging over my (much needed) winter break. However, I am back in Boulder and excited to keep blogging. For the past few weeks I was in Austin, Texas - which is becoming a very exciting place to be. In fact, a lot of people think Boulder and Austin are very similar places. After being in both cities for an extended period of time, I would have to agree with everyone. Perhaps it is the weird (in a good way) people, the beauty, the interest in “going green” or even the foodie culture.
This post will give you a taste of what Austin does have to offer - music, food, people and sites.
Fun thing to do #1: Go to the top of Mount Bonnell - one of the highest points within Austin city limits - 785 ft. It’s beautiful and so serene.
#2: Painting with a Twist! There is nothing better than constructing your own piece of art from scratch while enjoying some great wine and cheese. A night guaranteed to be fun and easy going. Check out a location near you! I’m proud of my art :) it’s called “Cherry Blossoms”
#3: This is at Lake Austin. I suggest bringing a bike so you can cruise around the lake and down town! Also check out the bridge nearby where all the bats live.
#4: You have to play some shuffle board at one of the bars downtown! i.e. Doc’s Bar & Grill
#5: Cedar Door is known for their Mexican Martini which is a lot like a Margarita…but stronger. SO GOOD!
#6: Want to know where to get the best BBQ in town? The County Line! Do you see the size of those ribs!??
#7: Get your hands on a ZiegenBock - which is my favorite beer. Only in TX!
#8: hey cupcake! Hands down the best red velvet cupcake I have ever had! Find their trailers all over Austin.
#9: For a great dinner, go to South Congress Cafe! They have the best calamari and mojitos!
#10: Round Rock Donuts. DONUTS. Glazed Donuts. Enough said.
#11: Austin is the music capital. I enjoyed walking around downtown and following the music. Go to yelp if you are curious about the top rates live music venues (http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=best+music+venue&find_loc=Austin%2C+TX).
2. The Kitchen [Next Door] - Hip, Fast, High quality food & affordable (try their infamous Kale Chips, Spiced Chickpeas & hummus, Grilled Chicken Sandwich or Roast Lamb Sliders)
3. Riffs - Local urban food bar with a unique menu & small plates (crab and piquillo chile fritters are 2die4)
4. Cafe Aion - Best place for brunch on the hill, unique and delicious food (try their fresh fried doughnut & hole with French Pressed Coffee)
5. Zolo Southwestern Grill - Soulful Mexican(ish) food with a flavorful and zesty twist (try their Blue Corn Fried Catfish; they have an amazing Tortilla Soup)
6. il Pastaio - Family owned Italian restaurant, homemade pasta, diamond in the rough
7. The Med - Best happy hour by far! Love their Red Sangria and assortment of tapas!
8. Lark Burger - Best all-natural gourmet Burgers in Boulder, hands down! (try their Truffle & Parmesan Fries!)
9. Agave Mexican Bistro- Best, most authentic mexican food in Boulder (try an entree with cactus!)
10. What’s your favorite restaurant in Boulder?
Honorable mentions: Tiffin’s, Brassier tenten, Frasca Food & Wine, Khow Thai, Two Spoons, The Kitchen, Elephant Hut
The Kitchen Next Door Photo cred: http://www.boulderlocavore.com/
This video makes me smile! It’s a great visual representation of the joy of food, the adventures of traveling, the excitement of eating new things and the fulfillment gained from one bite of something beautiful. Well done.